The CE marked luminaires ensure safety and prove their compliance with the relevant legal regulations.
There are many independent laboratories carrying out independent tests to support the declaration of conformity required by manufacturers to affix CE Mark on lighting fixtures. It is a legal obligation on the part of the importers or manufacturers outside of the European Union countries to take care of the fittings to be offered to consumers.
The declaration of conformity to the following directives is essential for the manufacturers for CE marking their luminaries:
- Low Voltage Directive - 2014/35/EU
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive 2014/30/EU
- Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU
- Energy Related Products Directive 2009/125/EC
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive 2011/65/EU
The following legal regulations were issued based on these directives:
- Implementing Regulation on Environmentally Friendly Design of Energy Related Products
- Regulation on Electrical Equipment Designed for Specific Voltage Limits (Low Voltage Regulation)
- Implementing Regulation on Wireless and Telecommunication Terminal Equipment
- Implementing Regulation on Classification, Packaging and Labeling of Dangerous Substances and Preparations
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulation
A number of tests required by the luminaries to be affixed with the CE mark, can be carried out by the manufacturers on their own or they can avail the testing services of advanced laboratories. Once the required tests are completed, the manufacturer has to keep the test reports in the technical file.
There are other relevant regulations that may also be applicable in the CE marking process and may require compliance. Example, general product safety regulation, REACH regulation, waste management, batteries, energy labeling.
In many cases, harmonized European standards are adequate to comply with the requirements of legal regulations and offer the easiest means to meet the requirements of manufacturers.
Deviation from standards, like failure to meet full performance requirements, have to be explained in detail in the declaration of conformity and technical dossier as to why the standard is not fully implemented. Such deviations may cause problems with government agencies as it can lead to different interpretations depending on who makes the comment, the solution proposal & the intended use of the product. However, manufacturers should of course only provide suitable products in the market and document that the products meet the basic requirements.
According to the types of commonly used lighting fixtures, the main standards for CE marking conformity are:
- Regarding low voltage,
- TS EN 60598 Lighting fixtures
- TS EN 62493 Inspection of illumination equipment for people exposed to electromagnetic fields
- TS EN 61347 Lamp control system
- TS EN 60432 Lamps - Incandescent filament - Safety regulations
- Regarding electromagnetic compatibility,
- TS EN 55015 Limit measurement methods and values of radio distortion characteristics of electrical lighting and similar equipment
- TS EN 61547 General lighting devices - EMC immunity rules
- TS EN 61000 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Regarding energy,
- TS EN 62722 Fixture performance
- TS EN IEC 62442 Energy performance of the lamp controller
- Regarding RoHS,
- TS EN IEC 63000 Technical documentation for the evaluation of electronic and electrical products according to the limitation of hazardous substances
CE Certification of luminaries is only one of the services provided by Eurotech Assessment and Certification Services Pvt. Ltd. among many others. Many other certification services like CE Certification for medical devices, electrical/electronics, construction, pressure equipment, RoHS etc. are also available. We also provide testing services for your electrical/electronic products through our sister concern.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below to get your QUOTE for CE Certification today.