The ISO 9001 standard is intended to help the organizations achieve excellence through improved performance in business and stronger customer focus. The basis of ISO 9001:2015 are the seven principles, namely: Leadership, Customer Focus, Improvement, Process Approach, Engagement of People, Evidence Based Thinking and Relationship Management.
In line with these principles, there are some core elements that make up the overall quality program. These elements are:
- Improve Customer Focus: As per the revised standard, the main focus of any organization’s quality management program is to meet customer requirements and exceed their expectations regarding quality of the products and services. Organizations will do well if they comprehensively research, analyze and understand their current and future needs and adjust their processes and programs to fulfill the same. Also, it is important that the organizational objectives are in line with the market trends and are also communicated across the organization.
- Enhance Leadership Involvement: ISO 9001:2015 lays emphasis on leadership involvement in quality management. The leader and his team should be highly committed to strengthen the outcome of the quality management program. It is their duty to ensure that every business unit in the organization accepts and understands the changes brought about by the revised standard to ensure a unified commitment to quality. The team has to understand the expectations of any party involved or affected by the quality management. The leaders should encourage and recognize people’s contributions and should provide the required training and resources to improve quality.
- Improve Engagement of People: The new standard states that all people should be competent engaged and empowered in delivering value. It is expected of the organization to provide clarity of job expectations, enhance employee communication, have regular feedback and motivate employee’s contribution in organization.
- Adopt Process Based Approach: Organizations have to adopt process based approach that includes documenting and implementing processes, resources, controls and methods to demonstrate compliance with ISO 9001 standard. This approach also includes defining quality objectives and integrating quality management requirements with business processes.
- Enable People and Process Improvements: Only those organizations are successful that have a continuous focus on improvement in terms of organizational effectiveness and efficiency. Organizations need to implement a consistent approach to train people in how to utilize the tools and methods for improvement. They should also focus on the growth of every individual in the organization.
- Facilitate Evidence Based Decision Making: The decisions based on analysis and evaluations are more likely to produce the desired results. The organizations should restructure their QMS to support evidence gathering through observations, tests and measurements, or by using inspections and audits. The evidence should be accurate and easily accessible to those who require it for decision making.
- Ensure Relationship Management: By managing their relationships with third parties, organizations can easily ensure high standards in quality and sustained growth. Sharing of values, knowledge and vision between the organizations and third parties enhance their relationship. It is important to identify and select the right suppliers and to determine the improvement plans.
- Establish Systematic Approach to Risk Management: The main focus of ISO 9001 standard is to incorporate risk management into organization’s day-to-day activities. Risk has always been implicit in the standard (ISO 9001), but ‘risk based thinking’ is now explicitly defined, hence making preventive action a part of the daily routine.The standard now requires organizations to support implementation and creation of preventive as well as corrective actions.
- External Provisions-Manage Third Part Risks: There are certain requirements which an organization needs to fulfill before outsourcing goods and services. They need to adopt risk based approach and define processes and controls for suppliers. This will enable them to compare supplier scores and monitor them, thus benchmarking supplier performance. Organizations need to check supply chain risks by identifying high risk suppliers, assess the impact of risk, and track their risk profiles.
- Enable Knowledge Management: The organizations need to be assured whether they have the required knowledge to carry out the activities necessary for compliance with ISO 9001 standard. Also, training for third parties and employees on changing policies and standards should be arranged.
Eurotech, an IRCA approved training partner (ATP), is conducting ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System Trainings in your city. To know more about this training, drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91 9316744482 or 0172 - 4191128.